Welcome!

If you're going to know something about me, let it be this: I love cows.



I am also a proud participant in the dairy industry, and I think we have a great story to tell about our farm businesses, our animals, and our product (MILK!).



So welcome to the conversation; I'm devoted to dairy, and happy to answer any questions you may have.



Friday, December 7, 2012

Serious Friday Happiness

Greetings from my apartment, where I've spent the morning doing everything from cleaning to mass e-mail purge and sorting through the collection of handouts I've accumulated at meetings the past couple weeks. 
   While I don't exactly have time, I'm in a really great mood (thank you sleeping in my own bed for a change and TGIF) and wanted to share a few of my favorite things about this time of year. 
   First, Christmas is coming!!! in case you weren't aware. (haha)
My family is thankfully, not big on gift-giving which means I can get excited about the holiday without ever feeling like a pack mule walking through the frenzied mass of over-caffeinated, deal-seeking shoppers at every hyper-decorated shopping center. Small blessings...
   I also was ecstatic to discover I moved to one of those "small town USA's" that LOVES to rally around holidays. Our neighboring towns decorate similarly, which makes the drive back into Wyoming county really, really cool- compensating somewhat for the late hour at which I've been viewing those nicely decorate town squares lately. There are Christmas lights EVERYWHERE. And, since Christmas lights are one of my all-time favorite things... I'm feeling especially festive. I even made a wreath and wrapped lights around the deck railing outside, almost making up for not having a tree indoors. 
   Which brings me to another favorite of the season- the sounds and scents of Christmas. Bells ringing and countless renditions of "Last Christmas" and the deliciousness of evergreen, fires burning and cookies baking. None of which originate from my apartment since I'm not here enough to justify a tree, don't have a fireplace, and inexplicably burn everything that touches a cookie sheet. But I do have the radio on and a scentsy burner so the combination of Taylor Swift's catchy holiday tunes and "evergreen and cozy fireside" melting away is making me seriously happy. I may even try to make cookies Sunday. 
   Aaaand finally and most importantly, it's early December, and like many of my registered cow-loving peers, I'm impatiently waiting for a calf. Since size matters (in the show ring) the ideal time for a potential winter-aged show calf to be born is early December, and I've got a two year old heifer literally ready to pop at my parent's barn in New Hampshire, and I CANT WAIT! A heifer having her first calf is a twofer of anticipation because you have the potential of a heifer calf being born and the uncertainty of whether or not the cow will have a show-quality udder. I really like the heifer, and she's a granddaughter of my first cow (who's still hanging out in the same barn in NH), so ideally she'll develop well and I will be able to enter my first dam and daughter classes next year! Fingers most definitely crossed.
  Hopefully you're enjoying some holiday happiness of your own and to all those awaiting next year's crop of show calves: good luck!

                               (Design, aka Deiter, as a newborn calf about two years ago)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment