Welcome!

If you're going to know something about me, let it be this: I love cows.



I am also a proud participant in the dairy industry, and I think we have a great story to tell about our farm businesses, our animals, and our product (MILK!).



So welcome to the conversation; I'm devoted to dairy, and happy to answer any questions you may have.



Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Motivated Back Into Action

Greetings from Utah! I just returned from the Young Dairy Leaders Institue- a dairy industry initiate designed to teach young dairy farmers and industry participants how to share our story about raising the cows that produce the dairy products we all love!
After a LONG hiatus, I'm so excited to share the crazy changes in my life since mid 2011. First you'll notice I'm writing from UTAH! and more interestingly perhaps, that I'm writing from a DAIRY FARM in Utah where I am temporarily managing a calf ranch for some fellow former New Englanders! It's a big change from my risk management position in NY and I'm loving it!
For my Northeast friends not familiar with western-style dairy farming, it's still all about raising and caring for cows to make milk, but think less little red barns and more open corrals- with the Rocky Mountains as a backdrop. Very cool.
My responsibilities here are focused on caring for the future of the dairy farm; the calves!
Here are a few fun facts:
We have, on average, about 600 calves in calf hutches any given day
We bring over 8-12 newborn calves from the dairy each day
We are raising both the heifers and bulls born at the dairy
About 2/3 of our calves are Holsteins, the rest are a cross of Jersey, Holstein and Swedish Red
Look for more info to follow as I show you how we raise and care for the calves, and a little more about my life here in Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment